Monday, September 13, 2010

My little apple strudel...

It's fall in New England and that means apple strudel. One of my favorite things to make, and surely one of my favorite things to eat. Super easy and super delicious:

Peel, core and cut a bunch of apples into chunks, put them into a big bowl with some lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, a dash of salt, a couple of teaspoons of flour, a few splashes of oj and a couple big spoons of applesauce. Mix it all up and set it aside to get all juicy (while you make your phyllo dough.)

This phyllo dough is an ancient family recipe...

Go to the supermarket, stand in front of the frozen food section and pick the already made phyllo dough in the box with the prettiest picture on the front...(I swear, it works every time.)

Melt a lot of butter, use a pastry brush to butter the bottom of a cookie sheet, then start layering the phyllo dough (I use 2 sheets at a time) and butter... 2 sheets of phyllo, brush with butter, 2 more sheet of phyllo, more brushing with butter...until you use at least 1/2 of the dough.

Spoon the apple mixture down the middle of the dough (keep it about 2" from the ends.) Fold the ends up and then fold the sides up over the apples (don't worry if they don't meet, that's fine.) Brush the outside with more... butter!

Bake at 375-400 F until the apples are tender (60-90 minutes.) Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche or some whipped cream, or maybe some vanilla ice cream (while the strudel is still warm...)

5 comments:

  1. my mouth is watering! That looks and sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing your secret family recipe! :_)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love strudel and yesterday i did one too do!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the lovely comment on stuffintheburbs ...
    there's always the USPS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the LUCKY recipient of this delicious struedel & believe me it was THE BEST I've ever had!!! The secret recipe is indeed a keeper!LOL!Thank you jackie again for the treat~xo Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!
    I am so glad you shared with us your secret, ancient family recipe for phyllo dough!
    I live in Greenville, SC, which is 45 minutes south of Hendersonville, NC where a lot of the apples are grown around here. I have just come back with a half bushel of apples. Besides making applesauce and apple pie, what else do you think I want to make now ;)?
    Blessings to you--love your blog, too!
    ~me

    ReplyDelete