Monday, July 23, 2012

I have much missed the society of your pen...

I am naturally drawn to words on paper. I love the elegant flourish of the pen.  More so, I love grammar and usage from times past, as in this example written in April of 1889:
"My Dear Jones, 
I presume you have expected to hear from me long before this, and I have much missed the society of your pen, being the most I have hoped for since deprived of that of yourself. Every day I think of you and should write much oftener but for the attention required of me by my private business..."


It is a far cry from:


"U wanted to hear from me? I miss yur texts and u 2. I think of u and shud rite more but im bizzy wit the biz..."


Sigh...

2 comments:

  1. I love this. It's so true too. The penmanship is stunning also. I wish my own writing was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete