Thursday, July 25, 2013

I found a Letter dated 1920

I cannot remember where I happened upon this letter, but I do remember being instantly enchanted by it. It was written in 1920 by a priest, F. Creswick Todd. He writes that he has enclosed "little rice paper pictures: little paintings of Chinese people, quite true to life."



He goes on..."I bought them at an odd little shop in Canton, China last year." 

These lovely, small rice paper paintings were done in 1919 in Canton, China (now called Guangzhou) a large city on the South China sea.

The letter in its entirety:

Orange, June 28

My Dear Miss Fisher,
I am very much thrilled by such a wonderful gift! I want all my meals to be breakfasts while the eggs and butter lasts! Many, many thanks to you for so kindly remembering the offcial weakness of your neighbor at dinner. You will be glad to know that the eggs arrived quite safely!

As we came to know each other around the dinner table, perhaps you will let me send these little rice paper pictures: little paintings of Chinese people, quite true to life. I bought them at an odd little shop in Canton, China last year and it occurred to me that they might be used as dinner cards.

I hope you will have a delightful summer and I send you my hearty thanks.

Yours sincerely,

F. Creswick Todd
PTV

On the back it says:

"I am returning the box today."

I love truffling about, sticking my little snout into bins and boxes, dusty drawers...the treasures one finds! The letter and rice paper pictures are available in my etsy shop.

Another bit of strangeness, the Minister F. Creswick Todd presided at a "coffin side marriage"in 1913.


No comments:

Post a Comment