Monday, February 21, 2011


A Simple Buddhist Prayer:
May all beings everywhere, with whom we are all interconnected, be fulfilled, awakened and free. May there be peace in this world and throughout the entire universe, and may we all together complete the spiritual journey.
**********************************************************************************
The hazy greens walls were punctuated by shots of color in the tanka paintings. Flashes of powdery yellow, like the stain of saffron, and deep, almost black maroon. The painted Buddha was sitting in the lotus position on a cloud. He floated in the sky with a look of perfect serenity and calm.

I was also in the lotus position, still in my flannel pajamas, light brown hair tied loosely at the nape of my neck. Smoky incense, circling up to the ceiling was giving me a tiny headache. The green silk curtain, falling in folds from the top of the arched doorway, puddled on the floor. The murmur of chanting monks in the background, rhythmic and soothing, hummed through my body. The chanting made my breathing steady and measured.

I faced the dark wood altar. A carved, gilded statue of Buddha sat in the center, rice-filled caddies nestling sticks of incense were on either side. The Dalai Lama, in a framed photograph, was witness to my tiny alter. 

Giant floor pillows scattered around the room helped me to sit comfortably. The dense velvet cushions, just enough to soothe the achy feeling of sitting back on my heels.

Muffled voices of kids, playing in the yard just outside the window, mixed with the distant bark of a dog. Cold winter sunlight pushed its way in through a bamboo shade and cast a light across the room. Bits of dust were floating and spinning through the shaft of light. They disappeared at the lights edge like the airy, gossamer snowflakes that vanished as soon as they settled on the kid’s snowsuits.

The curtain moved and bracing air rushed up the stairs. It pushed the silvery fragrance of the incense out, replacing it with the house’s mix of dog hair and Christmas candle.

Moving my legs from under me, I laid face down on the carpet. I stretched my arms straight out above my head, my palms were together, my fingers pointed to the Buddha.  I felt the hardness of the floor on the tops of my feet, on my hip bones, and my rib cage. My nose and forehead pressed into the itchy carpet as I took several deep, full breaths.

I wanted peace and supplication. I wanted to melt into the carpet, then the floor, and then the earth beneath the floor. I wanted to crumble into dust and dirt and talk to the Buddha face to face and thank god for talking to me.

Pushing with my palms, I rose to kneeling, grasped my prayer beads, and began to pray.

4 comments:

  1. I have found Nirvana.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nirvana-Michigan/187825827896542

    It's a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moksh's Agarbatties are scented sticks that when burnt, give out fragrant fumes. Our Products are Bulk Incense Sticks, Incense Sticks Manufacturers in India.Bulk Incense Sticks, Incense Sticks Manufacturers – IndiaI have collected a packet of Swarna Champa incense stick from a shop in Tumkur, Karnataka. The fragrance is unusual. I would like to have a dozen packets of this incense stick. Please let me know whether I can have it by VPP. If so, please arrange to send that much to my address. In case you cannot directly send to me, then please give local dealer’s address so that I can get them from him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bulk Incense Sticks

    Moksh's Agarbatties are scented sticks that when burnt, give out fragrant fumes. Our Products are Bulk Incense Sticks, Incense Sticks Manufacturers in India.Incense Sticks, Bulk Incense Sticks, Incense Sticks Manufacturers, Bulk Incense Sticks India.Bulk Incense Sticks, Incense Sticks Manufacturers – India

    Agarbatties are scented sticks that when burnt, give out fragrant fumes. They have been used since ancient times in India, to invoke the blessings of Gods. Still widely used in Indian prayers and ceremonies, these are believed to be holy. Available in a wide variety of fragrances, agarbattis are fast replacing other harmful alternatives as room fresheners, mood enhancers and aromatherapeutics.

    Since the inception of Moksh, in 1996 , we have tried to bring the sense of history to our products while experimenting with the wide variety of formulations handed down over centuries. While retaining the old, we have also been careful to create new innovative fragrances that suit the changes in application of the product.

    Moksh’s unique fragrances have been much acclaimed, with our nature-inspired products meeting encouraging results. Many of the most popular incenses and Agarbatti Exporters in India have come from Moksh Agarbatti, including the largest selling Swarna Champa brand.

    We at Moksh kept this in our mind while developing all our products.

    We could succeed in achieving this aim by bringing in traditional and innovative concept of “Natural” and “Cosmetic” fragrances in Agarbatti,like Swarna Champa which has become an instant favourite for the consumers & won accolades from them all around the country ,for it’s natural & unique fragrance.Swarna Champa went on to become one of the single largest selling Agarbatti brands in the country.


    for more details
    please contact
    http://mokshagarbatti.com/tesimonial.html

    ReplyDelete